Tuesday 5 March 2013

Inspiring Wellness Success Stories 6

More than 5 years on and the wellness programme benefits are still going strong.  

The latest instalment of our success stories demonstrates the lasting impact that can be achieved with a corporate wellness programme.  This participant reports how tackling wellness at a crucial time of life has led to feeling healthier, an improved ability to deal with stress and a sure fire way to keep the fun in life for the future.

Here's how he did it.

The date of the wellness programme you attended:
September 2007

The lifestyle changes you made during the programme:
None during the program, though the information provided resonated well with me then and has remained with me since.


The lifestyle changes you made following programme: 
Better / more effective prioritization of what is important and what is urgent.


The secrets of your success with wellness:
Think longer term, if you only think of the day to day activities then you do not find the time to do the things that matter in the long run - like your family, your health, etc. Thinking longer term helps you put things in their proper perspective.


What advice that you received made the greatest impact on you? 
I took part in the program when I was 45 yrs old, I am 50 now and those 5 yrs are when a lot of things - potentially bad - start to happen. If you don't get control of things, balance work and life, start eating healthier, exercise regularly, etc by the time you are 50 then I would guess life gets a lot less fun thereafter.


The biggest benefits of making your lifestyle changes:
Healthier, improved relationships with my colleagues and my family members, less reactive and more proactive, stress happens - but I react to it in a more calm, cool and collected way now.


Anything that got in the way of success with wellness: 
Nothing for me, but everything - if you let it.


When wellness is working for you, what are the key elements that make the difference?    
I am a morning person so I rise early and exercise at least 30 mins every day w/o exception. I am also early to bed, you have to have this balance if you rise early otherwise sleep deprivation catches up to you. Find out how much sleep you need to perform well and make sure that you get it nightly with as few exceptions as possible.


Read the previous instalment of our Inspiring Success Stories.

Image by  [ r ♥ c e y t ♥ y ] {I br♥ke for bokeh} Flickr

No comments: